Monday, July 4, 2011

More on solar dyeing and roving



These are some of the rovings from the first batch of solar dyeing. I have one rainbow progression one left. The others are Steampunk, the colorway inspired by the Phat Fiber Sampler Box of October 2010 and leftovers from Butterfly Bush. At least I think they're leftovers from Butterfly Bush. They may not be, but as the pastel roving is a one of a kind, that's my best guess.


The solar dyeing is not a total success for me. Don't get me wrong, the colors have heatset wonderfully. It's more that my techniques for painting and wrapping the roving need some improvement. Solar heatsetting takes more time, and that gives the dye more time to move around and colors to mix in ways that I wasn't expecting. This can be improved as I learn to perfect my techniques.


I've got the Friends and Fiberworks Summer Retreat at the end of next week! Just how did time zip by so speedily? I've been debating about how much I should update the shops before then, and if I decide to update, what to add.


I've got the Phat Fiber Sampler Box July samples to dye this week. July is Art Nouveau. I found a picture by Alfons Mucha that I think has wonderful colors, and yesterday I realized how I think I may already have most of the dye recipes worked out. While I've learned things rarely go as planned, I'm hoping that I can get it worked out tomorrow and perhaps in the mail to Phat headquarters by Friday. Hope springs eternal, does it not?


Have a wonderful 4th of July, if you're here in the States. If not, I hope you have a wonderful Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment