Sunday, April 28, 2013

Speaking of dye techniques

I've been experimenting with new dye techniques ever since Gale told me about a young dyer, Gynx, who has a blog called The Dyer's Notebook.

When I first started dyeing, I did a teeny tiny bit of experimentation with leaving the yarn twisted when I was kettle dyeing it, but I soon stopped doing that in favor of handpainting skeins.

When you buy a skein of Beach Glass, I've very carefully applied each of the 6 colors one at a time with a sponge brush.  I turn the skein over, blot up excess liquid and apply the colors to the back.  I do this with all the multicolors like Steam Punk, Rainbow, and so on.

I look at yarns that say they're dyed with layers of colors, and I'd wondered just how had they done it.  After watching Gynx's videos, now I know.  You can learn how too, if you're so inclined.

What I like most about it is that I can get wonderful, interesting colors and it expands my dye techniques.  I can mix and match techniques to get truly amazing results.

For example, I've chosen my sea creature for my TriDye installment due to ship out on May 15, 2013, and I've been experimenting.  Once my colorway is worked out to my satisfaction, I can day all the yarn and fiber in just a few days.  I'd originally thought it would take me only 2 days, but now I'm wondering if I may have to double process them, combining hand application along with layers of resist dyeing to get the results I want.  I've got more experimenting on the agenda for tomorrow, during which time I'll try my newest idea and see if that gives me the looked-for results.

I plan to update the shop much earlier today.  I'm getting fueled on caffeine as I write this, so look for updates way before midnight tonight.  Life has been full of the unexpected lately, making it difficult to stay on task as I'd prefer.

I hope you get to enjoy your Sunday and have a lazy afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment